Friday, June 17, 2011

Easy peasey banana bhujiya

Whenever one thinks of banana, immediately this yellow   guy comes to mind.  Easiest food to eat and requires no cooking. But its a different story with raw bananas or plantain. It was pain peeling it... something I didnt even think about when its dishes were made back home. Hmmmm... I should have paid more attention  - bad bad ...LOL!!

Anyways, once that struggle was over,  it was breeze after that. I really like eating banana bhujiya and was reminded that I liked eating this when my sister made it one day on my recent trip to her house. Hows that for forgetfulness !!! So when I saw it in store, I had to try it out - came out totally yummylicious. It was so easy to make and thats best part...well after the taste. Next time I am going to be bolder and try out banana kofta.

One thing, you  need to use quite a bit of oil to get that crunchy surface. But I decided to compromise on the crunchiness factor instead. Go ahead use more oil ....fried stuff never ever tastes bad ;- )

Oh yes I used locknlock products - from start to finish. I made the bhujiya in myLocknLock ceramic frying pan, served and stored in my Zen&Lock ceramic container. Its really pretty and light weight... You can check it out in the pictures below.


Ingredients

2 cups heaped raw banana/plantain slices
1/3 tsp black mustard seeds
1/3 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp Tumeric powder
1/3 tsp Red chilli powder
1 Whole red chilli
2 Tbsp of oil
Salt to taste
Lemon juice ( optional)

Get Cooking

Heat oil in pan on medium. When sufficiently hot, add mustard seeds and whole red chilli. After the seeds begin to splutter, add banana slices. No I didnt use ripe banana.... thats what happens when you cook and photograph in yellow light. Sprinkle spices and salt and mix thoroughly. Now lower heat and let it cook and brown.
I also covered it for a little while towards the end of cooking. Dont do this for entire time otherwise banana slices will get soggy. Stir occasionally. Once cooked, turn off heat and add a little bit of lemon juice.


Thats it...wasn't it easy peasy. It tastes really yum. Serve it hot with rice, dal and raita. Nothing beats a fresh home cooked meal.

And after dinner, I just snapped the lids on and popped in the fridge for later. No the best picture I know. No transferring into  different container for storing. Wish things were always that easy. 


If you like the containers enough to check it out... follow these links
Note:
  1. You can also add chat masala to make it a tasty evening snack.
  2. Eat it fresh. It didnt taste so great the next day when reheated.
  3. For added visual effect, when the banana are half way cooked, lighlty press the slices  to flatten it some. Why.. I dont know... just like that. I liked it that way too when my sister made it.


Sending this to Healing Foods - Banana event. Find info about it here and here.

1 comment: